Saturday, December 22, 2012

Having an eternal perspective

I have been thinking about the title of my blog, which comes from my favorite verse, Ecclesiastes 3:11,

"He has made everything beautiful in his time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men, yet none can fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

That is the reason I am a Christian, because God has set eternity in my heart. I know that this life is not all there is, that I have desires and longings that can't be satisfied by any things or relationships here on earth. My husband and I have a great relationship that is a source of encouragement and joy to me, but it isn't perfect. Sometimes we have problems with miscommunication or selfishness or unmet expectations, because our relationship is just a representation of our relationship with God.

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known." - 1 Cor. 13:12.

This morning, in my Bible study, I read a verse that really inspired me to have an eternal perspective on life, and a desire for heavenly things. The verse is in Hebrews 11, which talks about men and women who had faith in God's promises, even though they didn't always see the fulfillment of them.

"But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city." - Hebrews 11:16

"God is not ashamed to be called their God" - what powerful words! God wants us to desire heaven, and to desire HIS presence. Looking at things in view of eternity brings a new perspective to the rest of life. Sometimes being the parent of a toddler and an infant is tiring and discouraging, but being a mom means more than just trying to keep my kids from destroying the house and driving me crazy. God's word tells me that I am raising my sons to be servants of the most high God! They have eternal souls, that were made to praise and glorify God. Remembering that encourages me to diligently correct and discipline them. It is not for my glory, it is for the glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment