Monday, September 23, 2013

French Press Cozy


 We make coffee in a French press, so I sewed up a little cozy to keep the coffee warm a little longer. I cut different coffee cup shapes out of red ticking, used fusible web to adhere them to a 7" x 12" piece of linen.


Then I hand appliqued them and embroidered some little details on them. I sewed that to 2 layers of batting and a 9" x 14" piece of red backing fabric. Then I folded the backing over the edges to bind the linen.


 I sewed on 4 red buttons and 4 elastic loops to close the cozy around the french press.


Here is a close-up of the embroidery detail on one of the cups. This one is my favorite :)

I think it turned out pretty well for my first time, but I should have made it just a little bit longer, maybe 1/2". And I should have attached the batting and backing to the linen before I embroidered the cups so the embroidery stitches would be quilting stitches too. Also the binding turned out a little bit funny, so I should have just used binding strips, I think the backing fabric I used was a little too thick to be a good binding fabric.

2 comments:

  1. I love all the little crafty things you make! They may not be perfect the first time around (as you note at the bottom), but they're certainly useful and look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete