Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ." - Philippians 3:7-8.

This is a verse that has really been on my heart lately as we have been looking for a house. About 2 months ago George and I put an offer on a really amazing house. It was at the top of our price range, but definitely worth it. The sellers accepted our offer, we had the inspection done, everything was going smoothly.

I was so excited!  I told everyone I knew about it, mentally decorated and redecorated every room, and stayed up late at night worrying that something would go wrong and we wouldn't get the house after all. And one night, when I was worrying about the house, God brought this verse to mind and I realized that this house had become an idol for me. It consumed my thoughts and I felt like my world would fall apart if we didn't get the house.

I asked God to forgive me for my wrong attitude, then I stopped worrying about it. I had peace because I knew God would meet all my needs, no matter what happened (Phil. 4:19). As it turned out, the sellers ended up taking another offer at the last minute. And, 2 months later, we closed on a different house.

I am so thankful that God provided a house for us, but I am even more thankful that he used the experience to remind me that I already have everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment