Friday, July 8, 2011

Fried Rice


Fried rice is an easy, frugal option for dinner. I usually just make veggie fried rice, but you can add leftover cooked meat to make it more filling. I use butter for my fried rice, which I think gives it a lot better flavor than oil :) Also, I never measure when I am making fried rice, I just add things until it looks good to me. This recipe is totally customizable and you can add in any leftover meat or veggies you have. This is just what I happened to use when I made it yesterday.

Fried Rice
2 cups leftover cooked rice (you can make rice just for fried rice and refrigerate it, but it needs to be cold. Hot rice will not work well for this dish)
3 TBSP butter, divided
1/4 cup peas (frozen, leftover, whatever you have)
2 carrots julienned or chopped into small pieces
2 eggs
Soy sauce
Leftover cooked meat (totally optional)

Scramble the eggs and cook them in a small non-stick or cast iron skillet in 1 TBSP of butter. Break them up into tiny pieces and set aside. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes. When wok is nice and hot add 2 TBSP of butter. When the butter is melted add the peas and carrots and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the cold rice, using a spoon to break up any clumps of rice. Fry for another minute. Add the cooked eggs to the rice mixture and stir to combine everything evenly. Sprinkle with soy sauce, about a tablespoon or so, and taste the rice. Add more soy sauce if needed until it tastes right to you.

This post is linked to:

No comments:

Post a Comment