Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Buying cloth diapers

   This week I am going to be doing a three-part series on cloth diapering. I was very intimidated when I started using cloth diapers because I didn't know many people that used cloth. So, I did some research on the internet, and I learned a lot from the blogs that I read.
   I have used cloth diapers for about a year now, and I want to share what I have learned so that other people can benefit from my experiences, and to hopefully encourage any mothers (or fathers) that are interested in using cloth diapers. It really isn't very hard : )

   To begin this series, I am going to share how I decided on the particular brand and style of diapers that I use. There are so many options, I think there is really something for everyone. I hope the information I provide here will lead you to make an informed decision if you are considering cloth.

The three main choices...

 All-in-one diapers These are the simplest kind of diaper to use. All-in-ones are the most similar to disposable diapers. Their main advantage is ease of use, and the biggest downside is a long drying time.   



Pocket diapers - These are the kind of diapers I use with Titus. They have a main diaper piece with a built-in cover, and there is a microfiber insert that is slipped into a pocket in the diaper. I picked them because they are more user friendly then prefolds, but take less time to dry than all-in-ones.   


Prefolds & covers - This is the most cost effective system. Prefold diapers are usually around $1 each. Covers are more expensive, but not as expensive as pocket diapers or all-in-ones, and you don't need as many of them. You can buy wool, PUL, or nylon covers. The main disadvantage to using prefolds is that they are more work, and can be very intimidating to husbands, grandparents, babysitters, etc.

   I have only used 2 of the numerous cloth diaper brands available, so I will just cover those 2 brands. But please don't feel like you are limited to only those 2 brands. You can buy diapers from major retailers such as Cotton Babies or Diapers.com, purchase from sellers on ETSY, or make your own cloth diapers if you are a good seamstress and very ambitious : )

   I have used Fuzzibunz and BumGenius diapers with Titus. Here are my opinions on them:



BumGenius - one-size pocket diapers
This is my diaper of choice and the one I most recommend to people, for the following reasons:
- They last for a long time. I have BumGenius that I received used, that had been used to diaper 2 babies before Titus, and I still got a few more months out of them.
- They come in fun colors :)
-They have a good warranty. The velcro tabs and the elastic are the first things to wear out, but you can buy replacement kits for $1 each.
-The inside is soft and cozy
-The velcro closures and the snaps for adjusting size are very easy to use
-I have one-size diapers, which means the same diapers should last until Titus is potty-trained

The only thing that I have disliked about my BumGenius diapers is the fact that Titus can undo the velcro himself, which can be messy and annoying. If this is a major problem for you, BumGenius also sells diapers with snap closures.




Fuzzibunz - one-size pocket diapers
Some of the benefits to Fuzzibunz diapers are:
- The snap closure prevents babies from taking off their own diapers
- The leg elastics are adjustable, which means less leakage, because you can always ensure a good fit
- Again, cute colors : )
-They are also one-size, so the same diapers should last until potty-training

I have 2 Fuzzibunz and I like them, but not as much as the BumGenius. I think all the snaps are a little overwhelming, and they definitely don't fasten as quickly as velcro. Also, the inside is fleece, which was nice and soft at first, but it pilled up and is not as nice anymore. : (

In summary, I really like the BumGenius one-size pocket diapers. I have used them for a year with Titus and have been very happy with them : ) Tomorrow I will talk about how I make cloth diapers work for our family, and some helpful tips I have learned in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment