Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Downton Abbey Bag


I've been a little obsessed with Downton Abbey lately, and while I was watching one of the episodes I was inspired to make this bag, so I've christened it the Downton Abbey Bag.


A friend of my mom's was getting rid of a dress, and my mom thought I'd like to use the dress as fabric. I love the blue color and the fun stripes! I didn't have a pattern for this bag. I just took a purse that I really like and traced around it, adding about 1" all around. I cut 2 pieces out of the dress fabric and 2 pieces out of white fabric for the inside. I also made a pocket, just for fun.




 I squared the bottom corners (sorry I don't have any pictures of the process) of the outside and inside pieces. Then I sewed the outside pieces together and the inside pieces together. I put the outside bag inside the lining, right sides together, and sew the outside to the lining, leaving an opening for turning that was about 4" wide. I turned the bag right side out, sewed the straps together at the top, and topstitched around the handles and opening of the bag, closing the opening I made for turning.



Now I have a light, summery bag that makes me think of warmer days to come!

1 comment:

  1. Love it Jenn!! Just beautiful. I'm hoping your summery bag will drag in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete