Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sticky buns


For as long as I can remember, Christmas breakfast has been a tradition on my dad's side of the family. We always had oyster stew (a weird tradition, no one was too disappointed to see it die out), egg casserole, and sticky buns. I remember my grandma getting up at 5 in the morning to make sticky buns (crazy!)

Last week, I woke up at about 4am and for some reason couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to make breakfast. At first I was going to try making cinnamon rolls, but then I remembered our Christmas tradition of sticky buns and decided to try to find a recipe. I found one on Taste of Home's website that looked good, and set to work. They turned out as good as I remembered! I don't have the original recipe, but these sticky buns didn't disappoint ; ) Here is the recipe I used, with some minor alterations I made:


2 tsp yeast
1 1/4 cups milk
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 - 3 1/2 cups flour

Filling:
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Sauce:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional (I didn't use these because neither George or I like nuts)

Heat the milk and 3 Tbsp butter until warm, but not hot (you should be able to comfortably hold your finger in it). Add the yeast, sugar, salt, and about half of the flour. Stir until combined, and add remaining flour until a soft dough is formed. Knead for about 6-8 minutes on a floured surface. Put in a greased bowl and cover with a tea towel. Let rise until doubled, about an hour.

Roll dough into a 16-10" rectangle.Spread with butter and sprinkle with the 1 Tbsp, sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Roll up from a long side, pinch seams to seal, and cut into 12 equal slices.

Combine brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan, and heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Add pecans if using. Pour into 2 pie plates or round cake pans and place the rolls, cut side down, on top of the brown sugar/butter mixture. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 min, until golden brown. Invert the sticky buns onto plates, so the sauce is on top. They are delicious warm, but they taste good even when they are cooled : )

This post is linked to: The Ultimate Recipe Swap

No comments:

Post a Comment